CUSTOM-DESIGNED SERVICES FOR SCHOOLS & DISTRICTS
Anne Diskin - Reading and Writing Expert and Consultant
OUTSTANDING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
"Anne worked with our staff to develop an exemplary writing program. She's an outstanding trainer who has great rapport with teachers. This is staff development at its finest."
--Pat Klaus, Principal (retired), Alameda Unified School District, CA
"Anne is an extraordinary writing teacher and staff developer. Her sensitivity to the challenges teachers typically experience coupled with her excellent rapport with both teachers and students, make her one of the very best presenters I have ever worked with. Anne is known throughout Northern California as an authority on writing instruction who enjoys a reputation as being one of the very finest teacher trainers in the field."
--Jay Rowley, Ed.D., Former Director of Curriculum & Instruction, Sonoma Valley Unified School District, CA
Anne has been providing a wide variety of professional development services for educators since 1979. She is highly regarded for her ability to work successfully with both administrators and teachers to achieve what is best for students.
An expert in all aspects of teaching writing, Anne always emphasizes the reading-writing connection in her work.
The following array of services is available. They are described in more depth below. These services can be combined to suit your needs. Please contact Anne to inquire about scheduling and rates.
SITE-BASED TRAINING - Custom-designed short-term or long-term professional development for schools or school districts
WORKSHOPS/COURSES given year-round
PRESENTATIONS at conferences, special events, and school district staff-development days
CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT CONSULTING
NAVIGATE THE COMMON CORE WITH ANNE
1. SITE-BASED TRAINING
ANNE can provide short-term or long-term staff development in writing for your school or district. In a very supportive and engaging way, Anne addresses your need to meet standards and build on any program or structure you already have in place (i.e. Open Court, Houghton-Mifflin, 6 Traits, Step-Up-to-Writing, or the Lucy Calkins' Writing Units of Study).
She is currently working in several districts in this capacity and can provide references upon request.
Professional development is custom-designed to meet the needs of your students and staff and can include any combination of components:
- Analyzing student work and other data to determine standards-based needs
- Training (workshops/presentations on any aspect of teaching writing)
- Classroom demonstrations
- Lesson study and collaborative planning for instruction
- Consultation with individuals or with groups of teachers who teach a specific grade level or content area. This can also include addressing needs of teaching specific program "themes" and genres.
- Curriculum development - looking at how to break down and sequentially teach elements of:
- specific genres of writing (including the "writing test genre")
- specific skills of writing (such as the development of sentence skills)
- stages of the writing process (such as pre-writing skills or revising and editing skills)
- Working towards common goals and a common language for writing (i.e. Six Traits)
- Developing grade level and school-wide writing continuums
- Developing student-friendly rubrics and expectations
- Workshops for parents: How to Help Your Child Be a Better Writer (or Reader)
Anne offers her exceptionally practical workshops and courses during the summer and on selected Saturdays throughout the school year. Optional university credit is always available.
The workshop schedule is posted on the website and is sent to Anne's email list. To receive email announcements, contact Anne to be placed on her e-mail list.
NOTE: Anne is also available to do workshops/courses in a geographical area convenient for you. If you provide the location and help to set up the class, a certain number of free registrations are provided. University credit can be arranged for any course.
Anne can design training that focuses on your specific needs for any aspect of teaching writing. A sample of popular workshops/courses available include:
Click here - Course Descriptions to read about the workshops currently being offered to educators. Please note, courses can be geared toward any grade level (K-12), and can be formatted for single or multiple days.
- Nuts and Bolts Writing (Developing Vocabulary, Sentences, Paragraphs, Essays, Note Taking, Report Writing)
- Focusing on Specific Writing Genres (including "The Writing Test Genre")
- Giving Young Writers a Great Start! (K-1+)
- Best Lessons - Punctuation/Conventions
- Best Lessons - The Craft of Writing
- Reading and Writing Nonfiction
- Writing Across the Curriculum
- Writers Workshop (Balancing Choice and Instruction)
- You and Your Students Can Write and Illustrate Books!
Anne has been a keynote and featured speaker for numerous organizations and institutions. Her highly motivating presentations are in demand for school and whole district staff development days.
- any size group
- any grade level
- one or more full-day sessions
- one or more short presentations
- follow-up that can include classroom demonstrations and coaching
4. CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT CONSULTING
Anne is available to do one-on-one (or small group) private consulting with teachers who want support in planning their curriculum. Often teachers who have completed courses such as Nuts and Bolts Writing, want to work with Anne on applying what they've learned to their own unique teaching situations.
5. NAVIGATE THE COMMON CORE WITH ANNE
Still working to implement the Common Core State Standards? Anne is available to help your school or district navigate the Common Core. Not only can she deliver engaging and practical presentations to educate faculty on the ins and outs of the CCSS, she can also guide the most important work - working with teachers to acknowledge what they are already doing, then moving them along to align their curriculum with the Common Core.
Teachers will not only understand the shifts and student expectations required by the new standards, they will gain powerful tools and resources for making changes in their own curriculum.
CLICK HERE FOR A ONE-PAGE COMMON CORE FLYER